many thanks to Martin Harper and Alan Wentworth of P&WHS
Upon his death in 1561, Sir Robert Langley, Lord of the manor of Prestwich, conveyed to one of his four daughters, Dorothy, the land now known as the Polefield Estate. At the time of Its transfer it was in the occupation of Nicholas Eckersall. Polefield was one large field, with foot and bridle paths running across It in different directions. Dorothy was the wife of James Assheton, of Chadderton, who was patron for two of the Rectors of St Mary, William Langley (1569) and John Langley (1611). Subsequently, Polefield was divided into three parts.
The first part, named as Polefield House (In front of which stood the pole/beacon used for important communications), the entrance to this stood opposite Poppythorn Lane on the present day Bury Old Road.
The second, Polefield Hall, which sat behind Polefield House and was originally accessed from Hodge Lane (present day Polefield Road), later accessed by a lodge at the junction of Heywood Rd and Bury Old Rd. The site is covered today by the North East edge of Polefield Circle.
The third was simply called Polefield (but also known as the Pippin Tree Estate), this sat at the top of Hodge Lane, near the junction with Cuckoo Lane.
[The current road layout of the housing estates in the Polefield area today honours the line of Hodge lane, running Southeast to Northwest]
[ 1775... Sarah Stringfellow (dau of James Stringfellow of Whitefield) married Richard Scholes of Polefield)]
The visitation of the Bishop of Chester in 1778 recorded James Starky Esquire as living at Polefield. Mr Starky was listed as being churchwarden of St Mary's between 1759 & 1761. James Starky was buried prominently inside the South porch entrance to St Mary's in 1779, which was the main entrance to the church until 1805, meaning parishioners would have crossed his grave every week. IN 1780 his executors sold polefield to the Egerton Family of Heaton Hall.
many thanks to Martin Harper
and Alan Wentworth of P&WHS