Home Lords Saints Places People Contact

The How, Sedgley Park


The How

Richard Fort of Sedgley Hall sold his land in 1854.Leading to the building of several large residences...

Sedgley House
Sedgley Mount
The Holme
Brook House
Woodcliffe
Beechcroft

Sedgley Park in 1848

The land for The How, was purchased in 1861 by Arthur Henry Heywood who was partner in his father's Bank.

[Nathaniel Heywood had been Vicar of Ormskirk during the English Civil War, and had two son's Richard and Nathaniel. Richard went to Ireland and ended up adopting his nephew, Arthur. Arthur grew up to marry the daughter of General Arthur Graham of Armagh, and went on to have two sons Benjamin & Arthur. These brothers found fortune in the Slave Trade, investing in over 133 slave voyages between 1745 & 1789)]

Benjamin Heywood of Clifton Hall , just over the Irwell, was the son of Benjamin the Slave Trader, and became the founder (in 1788) of the influential Heywoods Bank in Manchester Benjamin was also the great grandfather of Arthur Henry Heywood, of The How.

Arthur's father, Sir Benjamin Heywood, found himself in sole ownership of the "Heywood Brothers & Co." Bank in 1829, and later renamed it to "Sir Benjamin Heywood Bart. & Co.". In 1848 Sir Benjamin had a new property built for the Bank at St Anne's Square, designed by John Edgar Gregan.

Heywoods Banking House

The sons of Sir Benjamin later renamed the business back to "Heywood Brothers & Co." [See Heywoods Bank]

Sir William Holland moved in to the How in the 1860's and expanded the property. William's family built & ran Victoria Mills in Miles platting as W Hollands & Sons, architect George Woodhouse, after moving business from the Adelphi Mill in Salford.

Victoria Mills

He became prominent in the textile industry, becoming chairman or president of the Fine Cotton Spinners and Doublers Association, the Textile Institute, the Machinery Users' Association and the Manchester Chamber of Commerce. He went on to become an alderman on Manchester City Council and then the MP for Salford North. He was knighted in 1902 and in July 1910 he was made Baron Rotherham of Broughton, in the County of Lancaster. His involvement in William Holland and Sons came to an end in 1898.[ see Victoria Mills]

1881 census shows Isaac Hoyle Cotton Merchant resident with his wife and 4 children. His son John F Hoyle was a Manager of Albert Mill in Heywood with nearly 20,000 spindles in operation.

Albert Mills

The Hoyle family later moved to High Bank on Scholes Lane and in 1904, Mr. & Mrs. Hoyle presented the pulpit and the lectern at St Hilda's Church. Attached to the North side of the Pulpit is a brass plaque with the following inscription: "To the Glory of God. This Pulpit was placed in the Church of St.Hilda, Prestwich by Richard Hoyle Esq. of High Bank, in the year of our Lord, Nineteen Hundred and Four".

Sedgley Park in 1891

The 1891 & 1901 census do not show any families present at the property. In 1910, George Piper a traveller for a Soap company lived in The How.

[in 1910, a tram conductor called Charles Francis Cross along with his wife & daguhter resided at How Cottage, with a Policeman called Robert Littleproud boarding with them.]

In 1926 the How was bought by the nuns of the neighbouring Sedgley House and the How was finally demolished in 2001 to make way for a car park for the Police training college.

An OS photo of the entrance to The How (with the building in the background) can be seen on the Timepix website

Timepix website

Further info and photos can be found in Ian Pringle's "Prestwich from county parish to suburban town".


Heritage Society publication